Hi! Here are few photos of the sunflowers 🌻 at home and photos of bees in my home hive.
Sorry about my lack of recent posts! I am still around and my bees 🐝 are healthy.
Above is a photo of one of my several sunflowers 🌻 in my yard. I have taken a bit of break on the blog but, my hope over the next few weeks is to post the many photos and stories that I have documented over the last few months so please stay tuned!
I met Will one of the farm managers at the site to look at the hives. We discovered one of was lost during the winter.
Will was excited to see the honey frames and posed for me above. I will be back to the Farm because they have donated equipment to BeeMore for use and rehabilitation.
I will be holding an event here in May stay tuned for more information.
Have a great Sunday!
It’s mid April and spring has finally arrived. I came out this morning to check in at the garden in Park Heights to find that one of my fellow beekeepers new hives are doing well.
The recent change in weather and blooms are out!
More updates to come!
Below are some quick photos of the new bee package install. I was bey lucky to get Warren to help me. This package was more robust than I thought so I may be able to do a split soon. I will put up a more detailed post shortly but this is a teaser for my spring installations.
I am currently a taking the UME Baltimore City Master Gardener course and last week we talked about pollinators which is one of my favorite topics. It sparked me to look at my garden and what I plant. Last year, I planted sunflowers and they were great in my garden. I found that sunflowers attracted a myriad of bees and other pollinators.
This year as part of my work with BeeMore, I am going up my game a bit by planting additional sunflowers at different sites. I found some great resources on this and the ongoing Great Sunflower Project.
I will share more on my efforts to support Project Sunflower.
Above is a quick video of the bees in🐝 Park Heights on a warm winter day this week! This is the one surviving hives from one of the other beekeepers at the site.
The temperature was over 70 degrees that day and there is some clover on the field. It’s was a great day for getting out of the hive.
Today, I started the honey extraction process. There are a few tools and items you want to have on hand when you are doing this process:
- 8×10 Tarp (Camping Grade)
- 5 Gallon Bucket (food grade w/ cover)
- A Capping Knife or Tool
- A few pairs of Disposable Gloves
- A Honey Strainer or Mesh Bag
- A Spatula
- Newspaper, Plastic containers and other things to mitigate the mess.
Here is a link to a video that explains the steps I took to do this first extraction. I only did a few frames so, I will post additional updates on the process to share the efficiencies that I have found.
Just in case you missed it! Check out the Extraction Video
This morning, I ventured out to check on the hives and greenhouses after the deep freeze of the past two weeks. A found a few bees working in the hive which was a good sign. The white stuff is the sugar or bee candy that I made a few weeks ago.
Most of the vegetation in the area is still frozen from the frost but, its good to see that my bees persist. Even though 40+ degree weather feels balm to us because of the persistent cold, to the bees it’s just another winter day.