Hot day in the City

Here is some video of bees bearding. This is often confused with a “swarm”. The bees are trying to stay cool outside the hive. This is a new nuc that I have not moved to my box because I wanted them to get very strong.

Visit to the Bee Farm

Picked up some new nucs early this morning from the bee farm.

My current two hive fizzed out. In part due to size and I can see that there were some wax moths left from a previous year. Even though I inspected and froze my frames. They were persistent. Below is a collage of my new bees

I will keep you posted on my updates. This nuc is very strong. They couldn’t wait to get home. A few stragglers flew around my car on the ride back from Howard County.

Bee Safe! Michelle

In Bloom🌺🌸

It’s almost June and the hard work of the spring is paying off. Here are some shots of my pollinator-friendly plants.

I thought I would start sharing the progress of the garden as well as the bees.

The hive continues to live even though it’s small. The recent pollen should help them to grow over the next few weeks. I will keep posting…

Bee Well,

Michelle

Small Hive

This has been a challenging time. Went to visit a hive today and found less than 20 bees.

Visit 5/24/20 – formation of small queen peanut

The recent rains has not helped this hive and I may have to pickup a new package. Thus, one of the plights of modern beekeeping is the constant cycle of issues.

Bee Safe! Michelle

I am back!

Sorry for the radio silence on the site and lack of new posts! This winter has been busy.

The weird winter weather was not good for my bees. Sadly, I lost my last hive a few weeks ago so I am in a rebuilding mode.

This seasons post may focus more on my garden and pollinator friendly activities. I will still be a sources of support for new keepers but, I will probably curtail my number of hives.

Below are some shots of the winter aftermath.

🐝 Bee Friday

Happy Bee Friday!

Watching the bees fly into the hive today on their pollen gathering journey, I realized that the statistic that can fly up to 15 mph is very accurate. These ladies were moving so fast that I could not capture their speed. The recent brisk spring temperatures have made move faster but today was another good sign the hive is doing well after 2 weeks and will be ready to move to a community garden site.

Bee back with you soon!

Michelle

Brief Spring in Baltimore

Above is a quick video of the bees in🐝 Park Heights on a warm winter day this week! This is the one surviving hives from one of the other beekeepers at the site.

The temperature was over 70 degrees that day and there is some clover on the field. It’s was a great day for getting out of the hive.

Michelle

Extracting Honey – Part 1

Today, I started the honey extraction process. There are a few tools and items you want to have on hand when you are doing this process:

  • 8×10 Tarp (Camping Grade)
  • 5 Gallon Bucket (food grade w/ cover)
  • A Capping Knife or Tool
  • A few pairs of Disposable Gloves
  • A Honey Strainer or Mesh Bag
  • A Spatula
  • Newspaper, Plastic containers and other things to mitigate the mess.

Here is a link to a video that explains the steps I took to do this first extraction. I only did a few frames so, I will post additional updates on the process to share the efficiencies that I have found.

Just in case you missed it! Check out the Extraction Video

Michelle

 

Fall Feeding and new acquistions

 

So this week, I made another visit to hives at the Woodland Garden to feed the bees in preparation for the winter.  Until the weather turns, I will be going every 7-10 days to feed them. This time, I was joined by a fellow Urban Gardner Floyd who recently completed the beekeeping class in Baltimore County but, does not have any hives of his own. He was eager to see the bees up close and he was helpful in the quick feeding process. Since, I have extra suits in my car and I am helping others so, I thought it was fun to play teacher a bit.

Good news! the possibly queenless hive that I mentioned in a previous post has recovered and has crowned a queen. Thus, they seem to be building up the second box. Moreover, these bees are no longer directionless which is a good thing.

I still need to decide whether or not to combine the hives. So, I fed both hives some 2:1 feed with essential oils. I know that I going to have to a treatment in the next week so, I will post that information as well.

Below is a hive I recently acquired at the main park heights site so, I started to feed these guys on Wednesday.

 

While inspecting the hive, I noticed that the hive has wax moths so, I don’t know how long it’s going last.  The wax moth can be highly destructive and it may be affecting the brood box.

But, I got a great deal on the equipment and the hive. I will be online looking at ways to save these bees and helping them through the winter. I will also do some posting on the cleaning and preparation of the hive equipment for next year. There is some debate on whether or not to use old equipment but, these hives were neglected and recently inspected by the state so I think the equipment is worth the time and effort.

There will be posting on the cleaning and preparation of the hive equipment for next year as related to the new acquisitions. There is some debate on whether or not to use old equipment but, these hives were neglected and recently inspected by the state so I think the equipment is worth the time and effort.

Moreover, I will do a deeper dive and share more photos in the next few weeks. As for this post, I thought I would share what I have now to keep the blog up to date on the October actions and to share some new photos.

Michelle

 

 

Create a website or blog at WordPress.com

Up ↑