Here is a quick video of our time this morning with the bees
Spring is here! So to support the pollinators you may want to start planting now. I did a quick video if you are new to gardening and starting seeds. Happy Planting!
I know that my site has been bare lately. Life has been hectic with regular world. I know that some people have contacted me about getting started.
Here is a local company that I have worked with to get my nucs and packages. SweetGrass Honey is owned by Mick Wiser who has helped me and got me into beekeeping.
You check out the shop link to get bees in April and May 2021. Good luck and Happy Beekeeping, I am getting a few nucs and packages this year myself.
Happy New Bee Year!
Here is a quick video on some spring garden herb tips for 2021
Hello, it’s fall and the bees are doing well but we are closing down for the season. I have noticed some beetles a few weeks ago and added traps.This pollen patte should add nutrients for the winter.
To make pollen patties I used the following item:
Organic Coconut oil
Thanks you for following and have a great holiday season!
On a less bee-related topic, it is the second year that my grapevine produced. I am now trying to think of what to do with my bounty.
The next step will be creating a jam/jelly if I don’t eat them all. This year’s garden has been tough on cucumbers. I found one today…
I will add an update on what these grapes turn into if I don’t eat them all.
Bee Safe! Michelle
Here is a recently finished video of our movement bees from the nuc to regular hive.
Here are beekeeper terms that were used in this video:
- Bearding is a term referring to bees accumulating at the front of the hive, in a beard-like shape. Bees do this to make room inside the hive for added ventilation on a hot and humid day.
- Frame is a piece of equipment made of either wood or plastic designed to hold the honey comb.
- Hive tool is a metal device used to open hives, pry frames apart, and scrape wax and propolis from the hive parts.
- Nucleus is a hive of bees which consists of fewer frames than a typical hive and may be smaller in size. A nucleus usually consists of two to five frames of comb and used primarily for starting new colonies or rearing or storing queens; also called and commonly referred to a nuc.
- Smoker is a device in which materials are slowly burned to produce smoke (not flames) which is used to subdue bees. It is important to use a material that produces a cool smoke as not to harm the bees.
- Queen is a female bee with a fully developed reproductive system, and she is larger and longer than a worker bee.
Despite the summer heat, this has been a good year for sunflowers. I tried to grow some exotic colors but the seeds that did the best we’re the Mammoth ones that I purchased at the Dollar Tree.
I love this time of year, so that I can watch the many pollenators in my yard! Enjoy the summer and bee safe!