It seems timely to start on candy making for the bees since it is December and when I went out this morning the ground was frozen. I found a no-cook recipe on the internet that seems pretty easy. I decided against a true fondant because I am not a skilled candy maker.
Here’s what you will need:
- A 5-pound bag of sugar
- A measuring cup – 1 cup filled with water
- A large mixing bowl
- A mixing spoon or spatula
- A medium size aluminum pan
- Optional – Essential Oils ( I added a few drops of lemongrass, Thyne, and Peppermint oils )
- Add entire bag into to large mixing bowl
- Measure and then pour 1 cup of water into bowl
- Stir and combine water and sugar (1-2 minutes)
- Optional: Add 10-15 drops (5 drops each into the mix) as you stir
I attempted to record some video of this process for your enjoyment. I am just adding this element to the blog and in the future, I refine these into more finished products.
If you have questions, contact me. I will post another blog piece on placing of these bars into the hive.